Every month, Sarah’s Inn nominates a volunteer to be our Volunteer of the Month. Sheri McIntosh was nominated as May’s Volunteer of the Month. Sheri joined the Sarah’s Inn team in January 1992. Our Volunteer and In-Kind Coordinator, Mariam, asked Sheri about her experiences as a volunteer.
- How long have you been volunteering with us, and how did you hear about Sarah’s Inn?
“I have volunteered for 30 years. In the 90’s, I reached out to United Way to volunteer at an organization and at that time, they connected individuals to volunteering opportunities so they connected me to Sarah’s Inn.”
- What have you enjoyed about volunteering with Sarah’s Inn?
“I have enjoyed the different opportunities to help people.”
- Every month, you take on multiple crisis line shifts. How do you find ways to fit volunteering into your schedule?
“I usually sign up for shifts when I know I will be available so that helps.”
- What made you want to volunteer at a Domestic Violence Agency?
“When United Way sent me the list (with volunteering opportunities), I saw Sarah’s Inn and chose to volunteer here because of family members that were impacted by domestic violence during that time and thought I could help.”
- Some people may find it difficult to balance working, volunteering, and their personal lives. Why do you think it is important for folks to find the time to volunteer?
“I have read somewhere that volunteering is good mentally and we are wired to help other people so volunteering not only benefits the organization that you are volunteering for but also benefits you.”
- Why should people volunteer at Sarah’s Inn?
“There is a stigma of people in domestic violence relationships and Sarah’s Inn helps people get past the stigma and become self-sufficient. Volunteering for Sarah’s Inn also helps you feel good knowing that you helped somebody.”
Thank you Sheri for volunteering with Sarah’s Inn. If you are interested in volunteering, the best way to get involved is by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, where you will be able to learn more about volunteering opportunities that are available to you.