Every month, Sarah’s Inn nominates a volunteer to be our Volunteer of The Month. Martina Darcheville was nominated as July’s Volunteer of The Month. Martina joined the Sarah’s Inn team in February 2022. Our Volunteer and In-Kind Coordinator, Mariam, asked Martina about her experiences as a volunteer.
- How long have you been volunteering with us, and how did you hear about Sarah’s Inn?
“I have been volunteering since February 2022 and learned about Sarah’s Inn through another organization, Lord and Angell House.”
- What have you enjoyed about volunteering with Sarah’s Inn?
“I enjoy assisting callers who have contacted the crisis hotline.”
- Every month, you take on multiple crisis line shifts. How do you find ways to fit volunteering into your schedule?
“I am very visual and rely upon a wall calendar that I record all activities for the month.”
- What made you want to volunteer at a Domestic Violence Agency?
“As a survivor who has overcome domestic violence, I am acutely aware of the importance in providing resources to those seeking to be free to live a life without abuse, fear, free to flourish, and achieve one’s goals.”
- Some people may find it difficult to balance working, volunteering, and their personal lives. Why do you think it is important for folks to find the time to volunteer?
“Serving others to make our community or society a better place is very rewarding not just for other people, but it gives a deep sense of accomplishment when you serve other people.”
- Why should people volunteer at Sarah’s Inn?
“Sarah’s Inn is a very caring and welcoming place for anyone who would like to be a part of their team. They provide opportunities to learn about domestic violence and how to be a better person to help others in that quest to help survivors overcome domestic violence.”
Thank you Martina for volunteering with Sarah’s Inn. If you are interested in volunteering, the best way to get involved is by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, where you will be able to learn more about volunteering opportunities that are available to you.