Every month, Sarah’s Inn nominates a volunteer to be our Volunteer of The Month. Grettel Gomez Reyes was nominated as February’s Volunteer of The Month. Grettel joined the Sarah’s Inn team in December 2022. Our Volunteer and In-Kind Coordinator, Mariam, asked Grettel about her experiences as a volunteer.
- How long have you been volunteering with us, and how did you hear about Sarah’s Inn?
“I have been volunteering since December. I worked at a different non-profit before coming to Illinois and wanted to continue doing non-profit work here (Illinois). I saw someone from Sarah’s Inn at a career fair and that's how I got involved.”
- What have you enjoyed about volunteering with Sarah’s Inn?
“What I have enjoyed about volunteering is being out in the community again, answering crisis line calls, and being able to help.”
- Every month, you take on multiple crisis line shifts. How do you find ways to fit volunteering into your schedule?
“I try to make sure that I get the day shifts since I am a full time student and will choose shifts that correlate with my schedule.”
- What made you want to volunteer at a Domestic Violence Agency?
“I wanted to work in human trafficking and wanted to work somewhere in the community that does similar work.”
- Some people may find it difficult to balance working, volunteering, and their personal lives. Why do you think it is important for folks to find the time to volunteer?
“I think it is important to find the time to volunteer. It helps you to know how important it is to make an impact on our community. I always say it is fulfilling to help the community and being out on the field; there is a sense of fulfillment with it.”
- Why should people volunteer at Sarah’s Inn?
“I think people should volunteer at Sarah’s Inn. I feel like it’s a case by case thing since domestic violence can be heavy and may not be for everyone, but apart from that, there is great communication with the team. There is a lot of support and the training helped me to learn different aspects of domestic violence.”
Thank you Grettel for volunteering with Sarah’s Inn. If you are interested in volunteering, the best way to get involved is by emailing email@example.com, where you will be able to learn more about volunteering opportunities that are available to you.