Every month, Sarah’s Inn nominates a volunteer to be our Volunteer of The Month. Jennifer Harmening was nominated as August’s Volunteer of The Month. Jennifer joined the Sarah’s Inn team in February 2013. Our Volunteer and In-Kind Coordinator, Mariam, asked Jennifer about her experiences as a volunteer.
- How long have you been volunteering with us, and how did you hear about Sarah’s Inn?
“I heard about Sarah’s Inn from a friend and I started volunteering in February of 2013.”
- What have you enjoyed about volunteering with Sarah’s Inn?
“Being able to be the first person that callers reach out to for help during a crisis is very rewarding. I get to be there for them to provide support, letting them know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.”
- Every month, you take on multiple crisis line shifts. How do you find ways to fit volunteering into your schedule?
“I find it pretty easy since I have been working the same shift for nine and a half years. Knowing that my shift is on Sunday, works best with my time and family. I am also a teacher so I am used to planning.”
- What made you want to volunteer at a Domestic Violence Agency?
“I am passionate about ending domestic violence and the staff at Sarah’s Inn are amazing. If I can offer a little bit of help to them and the clients, it brings me joy.”
- Some people may find it difficult to balance working, volunteering, and their personal lives. Why do you think it is important for folks to find the time to volunteer?
“Helping someone gives you personal satisfaction. It has helped me to grow to be the person I want to be. Helping out someone even just two hours a week, is a way of life and part of my faith.”
- Why should people volunteer at Sarah’s Inn?
“You all (Sarah’s Inn staff) make an extra effort to make the volunteers feel that they are helping. You (Mariam) also add a personal touch to your emails, it really makes us feel important. Our mission is also something I believe in and want to help Sarah’s Inn accomplish.”
Thank you Jennifer for volunteering with Sarah’s Inn. If you are interested in volunteering, the best way to get involved is by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, where you will be able to learn more about volunteering opportunities that are available to you.