Every month, Sarah’s Inn nominates a volunteer to be our Volunteer of the Month. Gio Gonzalez was nominated as April’s Volunteer of the Month. Gio joined the Sarah’s Inn team in September 2021. Our Volunteer and In-Kind Coordinator, Mariam, asked Gio about his experiences as a volunteer.
- How long have you been volunteering with us, and how did you hear about Sarah’s Inn?
“I started volunteering in September and heard about the agency from one of Sarah’s Inn’s employees. I heard about volunteering on the crisis line and how the agency needed individuals who are bilingual in Spanish so I thought it would be a good match.”
- What have you enjoyed about volunteering with Sarah’s Inn?
“Being able to say you are doing something for someone else, it is fulfilling to help people who are in dire need or need someone to talk to. It’s nice being there for someone else.”
- Every month, you take on multiple crisis line shifts. How do you find ways to fit volunteering into your schedule?
“I will try to make it work. If I am out and have a shift that night, I will make sure that I am home before my shift starts.”
- What made you want to volunteer at a Domestic Violence Agency?
“I wanted to volunteer based on what a Sarah's Inn staff member mentioned. I did not realize how prevalent domestic violence was until the 40-hour domestic violence training; It was eye opening.”
- Some people may find it difficult to balance working, volunteering, and their personal lives. Why do you think it is important for folks to find the time to volunteer?
“I have always been interested in volunteering since high school. I have been helped in my life and feel that you should give back what you have received. Someone always needs a little bit of help.”
- Why should people volunteer at Sarah’s Inn?
“Volunteering in general is always nice, but through Sarah’s Inn, I learned alot about domestic violence. As a man, I can take these skills that I learned to be an ally and become a better partner. That is why I will keep volunteering at Sarah's Inn.”
Thank you Gio for volunteering with Sarah’s Inn. If you are interested in volunteering, the best way to get involved is by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, where you will be able to learn more about volunteering opportunities that are available to you.